About S-LPs, Audiologists and CHA

Speech-language pathologists and audiologists

Speech-language pathologists and audiologists work with people of all ages to identify, assess and treat a wide range of communication disorders.

In addition to working in clinical settings, speech-language pathologists and audiologists work in research, education, advocacy, policy development and health administration.

Professional writing a note in a bright office

Speech-language pathologists

Speech-language pathologists are health professionals who identify, diagnose and treat communication and swallowing disorders across the lifespan.

Speech-language pathologists can help with:
  • Speech delays and disorders including articulation, phonology and motor speech disorders.
  • Language delays and disorders, including expression and comprehension in oral and non-verbal contexts
  • Fluency disorders, including stuttering.
  • Voice and resonance disorders.
  • Swallowing and feeding disorders in adults, children and infants.
  • Cognitive-communicative disorders including social communication skills, reasoning, problem solving and executive functions.
  • Pre-literacy and literacy skills including phonological awareness, decoding, reading comprehension and writing.
  • Communication and swallowing disorders related to other issues. For example, hearing impairments, traumatic brain injury, dementia, developmental, intellectual or genetic disorders and neurological impairments.


Audiologists are hearing health professionals who identify, diagnose and manage individuals with peripheral or central hearing loss, tinnitus, vestibular and balance disorders and other communication disorders across the lifespan.

Audiologists can help with:
  • Hearing disorders in infants, children and adults.
  • Amplification such as hearing aids and other assistive listening devices.
  • Auditory processing disorders: issues with how the brain processes sound.
  • Tinnitus: noise or ringing in the ears.
  • Hyperacusis and Misophonia: sensitivities to particular sounds.
  • Balance disorders including dizziness or vertigo caused by Ménières disease, ear infections and trauma to the skull.

Find a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist Near You.

Communication health assistants

Communication health assistants are specifically trained to provide clinical services under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist or audiologist.

Communication health Assistant helping a child
Speech-Language Pathology (S-LP) Assistants
Under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist (S-LP), S-LP assistants may help with:
  • Assisting the S-LP during assessments.
  • Performing screenings including hearing screenings using defined protocols.
  • Providing direct treatment to patients.
  • Following documented treatment plans developed by the S-LP.
  • Preparing materials for use in therapy, home programs and classrooms.

Download the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant Guidelines to learn more. 

Audiology Assistants
Under the supervision of an audiologist, Audiologist assistants may help with:
  • Assisting with hearing screening programs.
  • Assisting the audiologist with assessments.
  • Conducting electro-acoustic analysis of hearing aids and FM systems.
  • Providing listening checks and troubleshooting hearing aids and FM systems.
  • Making ear mold modifications and shell modifications.
  • Demonstrating and orienting clients to assistive listening and alerting devices.
  • Educating clients regarding earplugs and prevention of noise induced hearing loss.

Download the Audiology Assistant Guidelines to learn more. 

This site is registered on wpml.org as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.